Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fish Feet

So, this morning I actually woke myself up before 9am and was able to enjoy the free hotel breakfast for the first time. I went on a tour to the Karlstein Castle which is about 30 minutes outside of Prague. It's basically a vacation home for the royal family but now holds some of the crown jewels. The odd thing about the daytrip is that there were only two other people who spoke English, an older couple from Minneapolis, MN. They own a house on 53rd and Irving. My house was on 27th and Irving. Eerie. When I got back to Prague, I went to a 5-star restaurant named Plecko, or in English -hell. It was actually in the movie 'The Prince and Me' with Julia Stiles. Not a great chic flick, but it was filmed in Prague so that adds to its charm. Being the star-struck girl that I am, I had to go. Plus, how often can you go to a 5 star restaurant. Where the most expensive dish is $30. Anyways, this restaurant is underneath the city in caves that were used to store wine for Charles IV. I ordered the duck because Top Chef has made me less afraid to try it, and when the food arrived, there was an entire duck on my plate! I ate about one leg of it. What a waste! (but it was tasty) On the way back from the cave, I stopped into a Thai massage parlor to get a fish foot treatment - and no, those don't come with a happy ending. I had actually heard about it on the radio back in Vegas. You stick your feet in an aquarium filled with little black fish, and the fish nibble the dead skin off your feet. As some of you may know, I am very ticklish, and the tiny fish mouths did just that! Best/worst part was that the treatment took place in the window of the shop. So, all the tourists would walk by and either act grossed out or they took a picture. It is my last night in Prague, and I am having a hard time with that. I love this city for so many reasons. (Although I do curse the TGI Friday's and Hooters in the city center.) For one, I've enjoyed listening to the church bells from my hotel window. The cobblestone streets are unique and charming. Tonight, sitting in Old Town Square drinking a Pilsner Urquell, I saw a family dressed in soccer gear ready to cheer Spain on to victory, a bachelorette party from Scotland with the bride carrying around a blow-up doll in a kilt, and a group of guys dressed up like Run DMC - plus countless normal people speaking many different languages. Later in the evening I was sitting on one of the statues on Charles's Bridge just staring up at the castle at 11:30pm. There were groups of people just hanging out and drinking beers. Kids were sitting on the laps of statues from the 17th century, or something like that - I made that number up. It was a nice social gathering that no one interfered with (except for the underage drinkers). Oh - church bells just told me it's 2am. Time for bed - headed to Budapest tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment