Friday, June 22, 2012

Amazing, simply amazing!

Let me first just say that I am typing this blog while drinking a can - yes, can, of Cabernet called Happy Wine. I purchased it from the grocery store outside of my hotel room in Prague for 18 CZK (about $1). In fact, in Prague, ordering a large draft beer will cost you $1.00 - $1.50, but a Coke will cost you $2.25. So, why drink soda, it is not economical. Sorry, I went off on a bit of a tangent. Back to Amsterdam. I went into a shop that sold strictly American groceries because I was curious what they offered. This is what I remember: Pop-Tarts, Shake-n-bake, peanut butter, Baco's, and Campell's Chicken Noodle Soup. They are selling the soup for 4 Euros, or about $5! I did a lot of walking up and down the streets of Amsterdam. I had been there before, so the Anne Frank House was not on my to do list. However, I had read about a Catholic Church that was hidden in the attic of one of the houses in the Red-Light District during a time when it was illegal to practice the Catholic religion in Amsterdam. Being raised Catholic, I wanted to check it out. Sure enough, the top 3 floors of three of the houses were convererted into a rather large Catholic church. There was even balcony seats and an organ. Foodwise, Amsterdam had 3 types of restaurants: Argentinian Steak Houses, Indonesian Restaurants, and typical pub fare. There was one Mexican restaurant whose specialty of the day was a hamburger. Three days was definately enough time to spend in Amsterdam - don't miss the Heiniken Brewery tour - it is very entertaining. Now off to Prague! The overnight train ride to Prague was pure hell. It was 14 hours, and we were stuck in a small carriage room that barely held 6 people sitting upright. There was no way you could lay down, no food, no water. I can't compare the ride to the train rides the Jews had to take to the concentration camps, but I can say, with my level of discomfort, their's must have been unbareable. On a brighter note, Prague is AMAZING! This is my second time in Prague, and it makes me wonder why I left the first time. It is truly the most beautiful city I have ever been in, both during the day, and at night. People take pictures of the city, including me, but the pictures don't come close to capturing the breathtaking views the city holds. Being in this city makes me very happy, and very lonely at the same time. It's a place you want to experience with that special someone. Okay, I've had enough of my sappiness. Interestingly enough, despite the beauty, there are people carring huge bottles of beer around and peeing in any spot they feel like. The day I arrived, the Czech Republic was playing in the Eurocup Finals against Portugal. I am staying near Old Town Square, so I ventured out to the square looking for a bar showing the game. Well, the entire square was filled with people watching the game on a large portable screen with the churches and clocktowers in the background. (Same church that the castle in Sleeping Beauty was based off of!) Talk about old and new. Wow! The square sounded like a stadium, and there were groups of people cheering like they were in the stadium. It was pretty incredible. Unfortunately, Czech lost 0-1. It was the equivalent of the Packers losing to the 49ers in the playoffs this year. However, instead of crying about it like I did, people roamed the streets chanting for the Czech Republic. Everyone here is very nice, especially the receptionists at the hotel. I have booked a river cruise, a trip to a castle outside the city, and a brewery tour that I can earn my diploma in Czech beer. Don't know what that will do for me in life, but it will look good on my wall. Funny, the check-out card for the hotel states that check-out time is as 12:00am. Hmmmmm....that makes the sleeping arrangements a bit challenging!

No comments:

Post a Comment